Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dad, Come Play with Me


My father has an important job to provide for our family, but often times he works to hard and forgets to take time to play with me.


I know someday I'll have to be a man and go to work alone. But I wish for now, maybe just once we could do something on our own.


I could help him wash the car or maybe rake the leaves. I could help him if given the chance to spend some time with me.


Everyday he gets up and heads off to work. I wish someday he could stay home. That would be fun for sure.


But, "Time well spent," is something my dad would say when you've worked real hard throughout your day. So where's the time to laugh and play, before you know it he'll be gray.


My birthday was coming and dad asked me what I wanted. " Some time with you." Is what I responded.


A day with dad, I could hardly wait. It was hard to choose what to do on that special date. Fishing in the morning, batting cages in the afternoon, a night filled with go-carts and candy up to the moon.


Dad was up at the crack of dawn with donuts on a plate. "How's this for starting your special day on this very special date?" I couldn't stop from smiling the entire day. My dad had made it perfect, by my side the entire way.


I didn't catch a fish but it sure was a lot of fun, to hook the worm and do guy stuff. A great day had begun.


To the batting cages we went where I imagined hitting a grand slam. My dad cheering in the crowd, he was my biggest fan.


We raced around in go-carts, must have been a hundred times. I cut him off at the corner, "I had this race, it was all mine!"


It was getting late and dad said, " We probably should get back home, but not before I tell you son, that boy you sure have grown. Spending time with you and seeing all that you can do, makes me realize how lucky I am to have a son like you."


"I'm sorry for all the time I've spent away. I guess I thought that as a man I had a job to do everyday. But today you have reminded me of my greatest job and blessing. I need to be a father to my son, only giving him the best of me."


"That is truly time well spent. You're my legacy in the making."


"Sometimes as grownups get older we forget to have fun. But from now on I will rememer that being there for my family is number one."


My dad is my hero, strong and tall. Someday I hope to be just like him, loving my family through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment